Are you going out of town on vacation for a few days? If so, the Grand Blanc Township Police Department will periodically check your home to ensure your belongings are safe and secure. When you provide us with some basic information and an emergency contact our officers will stop by your house while you are gone and check your property. When you return home, simply call the department and let us know that you have returned and we will take your home off of our list.
A vacation check involves officers going to your residence, walking around the perimeter, looking for signs of unlawful entry, foul play, unlocked doors or windows, or anything else that may be wrong. It is more than an extra patrol in which officers are made aware you have left town, and they drive by your home during their routine patrols.
In order to provide this service in as efficient and safe a manner as possible, the following guidelines are in place.
- The Grand Blanc Township Police Department will check your home while you are away, for a minimum of five days.
- We will not do vacation checks on homes that have house sitters frequenting them. It is unsafe for our officers and your guests for us to be walking around your home checking doors and windows when there is someone inside that is authorized to be there. If someone is frequenting your home while you are on vacation and they notice an open door, window, or anything suspicious advise them to back away and call the Grand Blanc Township Police Department so an officer can assess the situation.
- We will only check residential properties, not business properties.
- We will only check residential properties if you live there, we will not check vacant houses.
- If you return earlier than anticipated please call the office and let us know you no longer require the vacation check.
While you are on vacation don't forget to:
- Stop your mail.
- Stop your newspapers.
- Let your neighbors know where you will be, how long you'll be gone, and how to contact someone in case of an emergency.
- Leave a light and radio or television on a timer.
- Lock your doors and windows.
- Have a snow removal service plow your driveway during snowfalls.