P.O. Box 1833
Grand Blanc, MI 48480-0057
E-mail Cathleen Szostak
Responsible for implementing and maintaining the control expenditure accounting system in accordance with State law and Township charter, ordinances and resolutions. Preparing the annual Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports (CAFR) and assisting the auditors during annual audit. Establishes standards and methods for accounting procedures to record, control and report on funds received from various sources, all expenditures and current assets and liabilities. Develops the general office budget general fund and special revenues budget and assists with other budget preparation and subsequent control, debt management, investments, internal auditing and all associated reporting. Administers the Township's pension plan and benefits package and directs all purchasing activities for general office and computer operation.
Finance Director's Typical Duties
- Directs and reviews all accounting and financial reporting activities of the Township. Monitors the flow of all financial information from the various Township services. Checks for adherence to policies and procedures, validity, irregularities, etc.
- Develops and authorizes the General Office's payroll and bills, compiling and reviewing payroll and bills of other Township departments, making direct payments as required.
- Prepares the budget for special revenue funds, General Fund, General Office and Clerk and Treasurer expenditures.
- Reviews other department's budgets, monitors for compliance, completes budget adjustments on line items and meets with the Township Board concerning the budget as required.
- In absence of Treasurer or Deputy Treasurer, makes bank deposits, invests Township excess funds and tax collections until paid out.
- Administers the Township's purchasing policies and procedures, issuing purchase orders, matching requisitions with bills and handling the direct purchasing of items for General Office and Computer Operations.
- Meets with and screens vendors based on availability of stock and competitive bidding, handling any problems and complaints that might arise.
- Administers insured employee benefits, negotiating competitive price on contracts, maintaining approved contracts, processing filed claims and distributing information to employees on benefits available.
- Administers the Township's Pension Plan, calculating yearly payment, administering employee cash-outs and loans, directing investments with assistance from financial advising, maintain up-to-date beneficiary forms and other activities required for compliance and distributes related information to employees.
- Meets frequently with Township administration, other department heads, State and Federal officials and prepares various correspondence regarding Township financial matters.
- Performs other related duties as needed.